At many barbecue joints across the South, white barbecue sauce is the sauce of choice. It's generally a mayonnaise-based sauce, made tangy with the addition of vinegar, horseradish, and mustard. Fans of white sauce say that once you've doused your barbecued chicken in this sauce, you'll never go back to red. If you prefer a thicker sauce, omit the water.
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon Creole mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- Whisk together all ingredients until blended. Store in the refrigerator up to 1 week.