Photo: Alex Farnum
- 2/3 cup walnut pieces
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Zest of 1/2 lemon and 1/4 orange
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon flake salt, such as Maldon
1 Hour, 15 Minutes
Chill: 30 Minutes
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Put nuts on a rimmed baking sheet and toast until light golden, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool, then finely chop.
- 2. Beat butter, sugar, and zest in a bowl with a mixer until light and fluffy. Mix in egg yolks, stopping once to scrape bowl. Add flour and nuts and beat just until dough comes together and is blended.
- 3. Shape dough into a disk about 1/2 in. thick, wrap with plastic, and chill until firm, 30 to 45 minutes. Reduce oven to 300°.
- 4. Roll dough on a lightly floured work surface to 1/4 in. Cut into rounds or squares with a fluted 1 1/2-in. cutter and set 1 in. apart on 2 or 3 baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with salt. Gather and reroll scraps, chilling dough if needed.
- 5. Bake 2 pans at a time until golden, swapping positions in oven halfway through, 20 to 22 minutes. Let cool on a rack.
- Make ahead: Up to 3 days, airtight.
- Calories: 62
- Calories from fat: 60%
- Protein: 0.8g
- Fat: 4.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Carbohydrate: 5.7g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Sodium: 26mg
- Cholesterol: 15mg