1. Sort and wash beans; place in a large Dutch oven. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; cover and let stand 8 hours. Drain beans. Wipe pan dry with a paper towel.
2. Cook bacon in Dutch oven over medium-high heat 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add onion; reduce heat to medium, and cook 4 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally.
3. Combine brown sugar and next 4 ingredients (through pepper) in a small bowl; stir well. Add 1 cup water; stir until well blended.
4. Add beans to pan, stirring to coat. Stir in brown sugar mixture. Add 5 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Preheat oven to 300°. Bake beans for 2 hours or until beans are tender, stirring occasionally.