Photo: Jennifer Causey; Styling: Lindsey Lower
For this quick family dinner, a small amount of salty ham is crisped and used as a topping. That way you can use far less and still get a big flavor impact.
Serves 4 (serving size: about 1 1/3 cups)
1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil; swirl to coat. Add ham; cook 3 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally (cover pan if ham pops). Remove ham from pan.
2. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add eggs; cook 1 minute or until soft-scrambled, stirring constantly. Place eggs in a large bowl.
3. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl. Add onions; sauté 1 minute. Add edamame and spinach; cover and cook 2 1/2 minutes or until spinach wilts, stirring occasionally. Add vegetable mixture to eggs in bowl.
4. Knead rice packages to separate rice. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add rice; stir to coat. Pat rice down into an even layer; cook 3 minutes. Stir, pat rice down, and cook 3 additional minutes.
5. Stir in egg-vegetable mixture and soy sauce. Sprinkle with ham.