Photo: Yunhee Kim; Styling: Robyn Valarik
- 1 cup dried white beans such as Corona* or cannellini
- 2 to 2 1/2 qts. reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 10 garlic cloves, crushed, divided
- 10 fresh sage leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon red chile flakes, divided
- About 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 bunches (1 lb.) Tuscan kale, stems and coarse ribs removed
- About 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 4 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 6 ounces day-old ciabatta bread, crusts trimmed, torn into 1 1/2-in. pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- About 1/2 cup grated pecorino cheese
6 Hours, 30 Minutes
- 1. Soak beans in a bowl with water to cover at least 4 hours (at least 6 hours if using Corona) or overnight. Drain, put in a 5- to 6-qt. pot, and add 2 qts. broth, 6 garlic cloves, the sage, and 1/4 tsp. chile flakes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until tender, 40 to 80 minutes, adding 1/2 tsp. salt during last 15 minutes.
- 2. Fill another large pot about three-quarters full of water and bring to a boil over high heat. Submerge kale and boil gently until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain, then coarsely chop.
- 3. Heat 1/3 cup oil over medium heat in pot used for kale. Chop remaining 4 garlic cloves and add to pot with remaining 1/4 tsp. chile flakes and the rosemary; sauté until garlic is fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add anchovies and kale and cook a few more minutes. Stir in beans and their liquid. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 4. Stir bread into soup with pepper and salt to taste. Cover and let stand until bread is very soft, 20 minutes to 1 hour.
- 5. Reheat soup over medium heat until steaming, adding more broth if you'd like a looser texture. Ladle into bowls and add pecorino and a drizzle of oil.
- *Get Corona beans (large, plump white beans) from purcellmountainfarms.com
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
- Calories: 396
- Calories from fat: 40%
- Protein: 24g
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated fat: 4.7g
- Carbohydrate: 36g
- Fiber: 6.4g
- Sodium: 726mg
- Cholesterol: 50mg