It's hard to find a cobbler recipe that's easier than this one. Top cherry pie filling and canned dark sweet cherries with strips of white bread drizzled with sugar, butter, egg, and lemon rind. In just minutes, your kitchen will be filled with the irresistible aroma of baking cobbler. Save even more time by using store-bought, crustless white bread for the topping.
- 2 (20-ounce) cans cherry pie filling
- 1 (15-ounce) can pitted dark sweet cherries in heavy syrup, drained
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 5 white bread slices
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- Stir together pie filling, cherries, and 2 tablespoons flour. Stir in almond extract. Place in a lightly greased 8-inch-square baking dish.
- Trim crusts from bread slices; cut each slice into 5 strips. Arrange bread strips over fruit mixture.
- Stir together remaining 2 tablespoons flour, sugar, and next 3 ingredients; drizzle over bread strips.
- Bake at 350° for 35 to 45 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
- Too-Easy Peach Cobbler: Substitute 2 (16-ounce) packages frozen peaches, thawed and drained, for cherry pie filling and canned cherries. Omit almond extract and grated lemon rind. Proceed as directed.
- Too-Easy Berry Cobbler: Substitute 1 (21-ounce) can blueberry pie filling and 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen whole strawberries, unthawed, for cherry pie filling and canned cherries. Omit almond extract; add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Proceed as directed.