Photo: Ralph Anderson; Styling: Lisa Powell Bailey
- 6 cups (1-inch) seeded ripe watermelon chunks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 very ripe large tomatoes, quartered (about 3 1/2 lb.)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Coarse salt (optional)
Other: 55 Minutes
- 1. Combine first 3 ingredients in a large bowl; stir well. Let stand 30 minutes.
- 2. Squeeze tomato quarters into a wire-mesh strainer over a 4-cup measuring cup. Place squeezed tomatoes into strainer, and firmly press with back of a spoon, pressing until liquid measures 3 cups. Discard tomato pulp in strainer.
- 3. Process half of tomato juice and half of watermelon mixture in a blender until smooth. Repeat with remaining tomato juice and watermelon. Stir in lemon juice. Pour mixture into freezer container of a 2 1/2-qt. electric ice-cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. (Instructions and times will vary.) Sprinkle each serving with coarse salt, if desired.