- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 sweet onions (about 1 lb. total), such as Walla Walla or Oso, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes, rinsed, cored, and sliced (1/4 in. thick)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 4 slices crusty artisan-style bread (each about 1 in. thick and 3 by 5 in.), cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup (1/8 lb.) butter
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1. Heat oil in a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium heat. When hot, add onions and garlic. Stir frequently until onions are limp and beginning to brown, about 6 minutes. Pour into a 2- to 3-quart baking dish with sides at least 2 inches high, and spread onions level. Top evenly with tomato slices, basil, and oregano. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- 2. In a food processor, whirl bread with butter and cheese until mixture forms coarse crumbs. Sprinkle evenly over tomatoes.
- 3. Bake in a 350° oven until topping is golden brown and juices are bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool 5 minutes and serve warm.
- Calories: 153
- Calories from fat: 49%
- Protein: 4.6g
- Fat: 8.3g
- Saturated fat: 4.1g
- Carbohydrate: 16g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Sodium: 229mg
- Cholesterol: 16mg