- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 (28 oz.) cans crushed tomatoes
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth or water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 10 large basil leaves, sliced
- Sour cream, optional
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 10 ounces white Cheddar or fontina cheese, grated
- 6 ounces Canadian bacon
- In a large sauce pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 4 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste and sugar. Puree mixture in a blender or food processor. If necessary, blend in 2 batches.
- Return puree to pot and add milk, vegetable broth, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer over low heat while preparing sandwiches.
- Butter one side of each bread slice. On unbuttered side of 1 slice, distribute about 1/4 cup cheese. Top with 2 slices Canadian bacon and another 1/4 cup cheese. Top with another slice of bread, unbuttered side down. Repeat step 3 to make 4 sandwiches.
- Place a large grill pan or skillet over medium heat. Place sandwiches in pan and cook until golden, about 5 minutes per side. Cover sandwiches with foil to keep warm.
- Just before serving, stir basil into soup and spoon into bowls. Top with sour cream, if desired. Slice each sandwich diagonally and serve alongside soup.
- Calories: 862
- Fat: 47g
- Saturated fat: 24g
- Protein: 43g
- Carbohydrate: 69g
- Fiber: 9g
- Cholesterol: 148mg
- Sodium: 3mg