1. In a bowl with a mixer, beat 1 cup butter, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, and brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla until well blended.
2. In another bowl, mix flour, 1 teaspoon cardamom, and baking soda.
3. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture; stir to mix, then beat until blended.
4. Stir in coconut and cashews. Cover and chill dough until firm enough to shape, at least 30 minutes or up to 1 day.
5. In a small dish, mix 1/4 cup granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon cardamom.
6. Shape dough into 1-inch balls, rolling each in cardamom sugar to coat. Set balls at least 3 inches apart on buttered baking sheets.
7. Bake in a 350° oven until golden brown, 9 to 12 minutes (7 to 10 minutes in a convection oven).
8. Cool on pans about 1 minute, then with a wide spatula, transfer to racks. Serve or store airtight up to 3 days; freeze to store longer. Nutritional analysis per cookie.