1. Preheat oven to 425°. Grate potato, onion, and carrot through large holes of a box grater; toss with lemon juice. Spread mixture onto layers of paper towels or a cloth towel. Roll up towel, starting at 1 short side. Squeeze towel to absorb excess liquid. Place potato mixture in a large bowl.
2. Brush olive oil on bottom and up sides of a 15- x 10-inch jelly-roll pan. Heat pan in 425° oven 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, whisk together eggs and next 3 ingredients in a small bowl. Place matzo meal in a fine wire-mesh strainer. Rinse matzo meal under running water, shaking strainer gently until mixture forms a ball. Whisk into egg mixture.
4. Stir egg mixture into potato mixture until well combined. Carefully spoon potato mixture into hot jelly-roll pan. Press mixture in an even layer, using a spatula.
5. Bake at 425° for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Remove from oven to wire rack, and let cool 5 minutes. Cut into pieces before serving.
Note: Thin Potato Kugel can be made ahead. Prepare as directed, and cover and chill up to 2 days.
Thin Sweet Potato Kugel: Substitute 4 medium-size sweet potatoes (about 2 lb.) for baking potatoes. Omit lemon juice. Proceed with recipe as directed, whisking 1/4 tsp. ground thyme into eggs in Step 3.