Photo: James Carrier
- 1 cup (1/2 lb.) butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (12 oz.)
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1. In a bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and brown sugar until well blended. Beat in eggs and vanilla until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- 2. In another bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir or beat into butter mixture until well incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips and pecans, if using.
- 3. Drop dough in 2-tablespoon (1/8-cup) portions, 2 inches apart, onto buttered 12- by 15-inch baking sheets.
- 4. Bake in a 400° oven until cookies are lightly browned and no longer wet in the center (break one open to check), 6 to 8 minutes; if baking more than one pan at a time, switch pan positions halfway through baking.
- 5. With a wide spatula, transfer cookies to racks to cool. If hot cookies start to break, slide a thin spatula under them to release; let stand on pan to firm up, 2 to 5 minutes, then transfer to racks to cool completely.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per cookie.
- Note: Store these cookies airtight for up to 2 days.
- Calories: 208
- Calories from fat: 48%
- Protein: 2.1g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 6.3g
- Carbohydrate: 28g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Sodium: 165mg
- Cholesterol: 34mg