1. In a large bowl, mix oats, buttermilk, sugar, 1/2 cup salad oil, and egg whites.
2. In another bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, dates, and pecans.
3. Add flour mixture to buttermilk mixture; stir just until evenly moistened.
4. Equally fill 12 to 15 oiled or paper-lined muffin cups (2 3/4 in. wide) with batter. Bake in a 375° oven until well browned, 20 to 25 minutes (15 to 20 minutes in a convection oven).
5. Cool in pans for 5 minutes. Invert to remove muffins. Serve warm or cool.