Photo: William Dickey; Styling: Lisa Powell Bailey
- 12-inch-long wooden skewers
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 16 cups assorted cut vegetables
Soak: 1 Hour
Chill: 30 Minutes
- 1. Soak skewers in water 1 hour.
- 2. Whisk together wine and next 6 ingredients until well blended; reserve 1/4 cup. Combine remaining white wine mixture and vegetables in a large bowl. Cover and chill at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours. Remove vegetables from marinade, discarding marinade.
- 3. Preheat grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high). Thread vegetables onto skewers, and grill according to directions in "Guidelines and Cook Times for Vegetable Kabobs" below.
- 4. Transfer skewers to a platter. Remove vegetables from skewers, if desired. Serve with reserved 1/4 cup white wine mixture.
- Guidelines and Cook Times for Vegetable Kabobs. Cut vegetables thick so they will stay on skewers as they cook. Thread one type of vegetable onto each skewer, threading so the cut sides lie flat on the cooking grate to ensure even cooking. Grill skewers, covered with grill lid, over 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat according to the times below. Your goal is to achieve tender, slightly charred vegetables.
- Zucchini and squash. Prep: Cut into 3/4-inch rounds; thread onto skewers. Grill time: 7 to 10 minutes on each side or until tender.
- Okra. Prep: Remove stems, and thread onto double skewers. Grill time: 6 to 8 minutes on each side or until tender.
- Eggplant. Prep: Cut Japanese eggplant into 3/4-inch rounds. Cut Italian eggplant crosswise into quarters; cut into 3/4-inch slices. Thread onto skewers. Grill time: 5 to 6 minutes on each side or until tender.
- Bell peppers. Prep: Cut into 1-inch-thick strips; thread skewers. Grill time: 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until tender.
- Mushrooms. Prep: Trim stems, and thread onto skewers. Grill time: 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until tender.
- Onions. Prep: Cut into wedges, and thread onto skewers. Grill time: 3 or 4 minutes on each side or until lightly charred.
- Cherry tomatoes. Prep: Thread onto double skewers. Grill time: 1 to 3 minutes on each side or just until skins begin to split.