Nestle enjoys Spanish-style tapas, appetizer-sized portions that allow her to reasonably savor a variety of flavors at a single meal. Piquillos are small, red, spicy-sweet roasted Spanish peppers; look for them in gourmet groceries, or order them online from La Tienda (www.tienda.com).
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup long-grain brown rice
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 10 piquillo peppers (about 1 [7.76-ounce] jar)
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded Manchego cheese
- Flat-leaf parsley sprigs (optional)
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 40 minutes or until done. Stir in chopped parsley, black pepper, salt, and tomatoes. Cook 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Spoon about 3 tablespoons rice mixture into each piquillo pepper. Place stuffed peppers in an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with Manchego cheese. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until peppers are thoroughly heated. Garnish with parsley sprigs, if desired.
- Calories: 109
- Calories from fat: 17%
- Fat: 2g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 3.4g
- Carbohydrate: 17.9g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Iron: 0.8mg
- Sodium: 442mg
- Calcium: 84mg