- 1 onion (about 8 oz.), peeled and chopped
- 2 red bell peppers (about 1 lb. total), rinsed, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and pressed or minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- About 1 teaspoon salad oil
- 1 package (1 lb.) frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 2 cans (about 15 oz. each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 can (19 oz.) red chili (enchilada) sauce
- 8 flour tortillas (10 in. wide)
- 3 cups shredded pepper jack or plain jack cheese (about 9 oz.)
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled cotija or feta cheese (about 8 oz.)
- 1 firm-ripe avocado (about 6 oz.)
- Fresh cilantro sprigs, rinsed
- 1. In a 5- to 6-quart nonstick pan over high heat, frequently stir onion, bell peppers, garlic, and cumin seeds in 1 teaspoon oil until the onion is limp, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in corn, beans, and chopped cilantro; remove pan from heat.
- 2. Pour the chili sauce into a 12-inch rimmed pizza pan or 10-inch pie pan. Dip a tortilla in sauce to coat both sides lightly; lift tortilla out, letting excess sauce drip back into pan. Set tortilla in an oiled 10-inch cheesecake pan with removable rim at least 3 inches tall (see notes). Spread 1/7 (about 1 cup) of the vegetable filling level over tortilla. Sprinkle evenly with 1/3 cup jack cheese and 3 tablespoons cotija cheese. Repeat layers, making a total of seven; top with last tortilla. Reserve any leftover chili sauce and remaining jack and cotija cheeses. Cover pan with an oiled piece of foil, oiled side down. Set pan in a rimmed 10- by 15-inch baking pan.
- 3. Bake enchilada pie in a 350° regular or 325° convection oven for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until hot (160°) in the center, 30 to 40 minutes longer.
- 4. Before serving, in a microwave-safe bowl, in a microwave oven on full power (100%), heat remaining chili sauce until hot, 20 to 30 seconds. Pit, peel, and slice avocado.
- 5. Run a knife between pie and pan rim to loosen. Remove rim, set pie on a platter, and drizzle with chili sauce. Arrange avocado slices in a ring on pie, sprinkle with remaining jack and cotija cheeses, and garnish with cilantro sprigs. Cut into wedges to serve.
For a nonvegetarian pie, substitute 2 1/4 cups shredded cooked chicken for the black beans. If cheesecake pan rim is less than 3 inches tall, fold a 36- by 12-inch strip of foil in half twice lengthwise and oil one side. Line rim with strip, oiled side in and edge extending above rim. Pie can be prepared through step 2 up to 1 day ahead. Cover and chill pie, remaining chili sauce, and cheese separately. Bake, covered, for 1 hour; uncover and bake until hot in the center, 40 to 50 minutes longer.Sunset
- Calories: 597
- Calories from fat: 41%
- Protein: 27g
- Fat: 27g
- Saturated fat: 12g
- Carbohydrate: 66g
- Fiber: 7.2g
- Sodium: 1784mg
- Cholesterol: 56mg