Notes: This salad is dramatic when made with whole inner romaine lettuce leaves (often sold as "romaine hearts"), but you can substitute 4 quarts bite-size pieces of romaine; in step 5, arrange the parmesan curls on top of the mixed salad. To make the curls, pull a vegetable peeler across the block of cheese.
- 1 sourdough baguette (about 2 in. wide; 8 to 12 oz.)
- About 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/3 cups finely shredded parmesan cheese (about 1/4 lb.)
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 9 canned anchovy fillets, drained
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh-ground pepper
- About 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 quarts tender inner romaine lettuce leaves (max. 8 in. long, 1 1/3 lb. total; see notes), rinsed and crisped
- 1 cup parmesan cheese curls (each about 3 in. long and 1 in. wide, 3 oz. total; see notes)
- 1. To make parmesan rafts, cut baguette into diagonal slices 1/4 inch thick and 4 to 6 inches long. Lightly brush both sides of each slice with olive oil, using 3 to 4 tablespoons total. Arrange in a single layer in 2 shallow 12- by 17-inch baking pans.
- 2. Bake in a 325° regular or convection oven for 5 minutes. Sprinkle slices evenly with 1 cup shredded parmesan. Bake until cheese is melted and bread is golden, 10 to 12 minutes longer.
- 3. In a blender or food processor, whirl 9 tablespoons olive oil, 1/3 cup shredded parmesan, lemon juice, anchovies, garlic, pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt until smooth.
- 4. Place lettuce in a large bowl and parmesan rafts in another. Drizzle 2/3 of the dressing over lettuce and remaining 1/3 over rafts. Mix rafts to coat with dressing; with your hands or two spoons, gently lift and mix lettuce to coat.
- 5. Divide 1/3 of the lettuce equally among dinner plates, arranging all leaves on each plate in the same direction. Arrange 1/3 of the parmesan rafts equally on top, at right angles to leaves, and add 1/3 of the parmesan curls. Repeat to layer remaining lettuce, rafts, and curls. Season salads to taste with more salt.
- Calories: 521
- Calories from fat: 67%
- Protein: 20g
- Fat: 39g
- Saturated fat: 10g
- Carbohydrate: 25g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Sodium: 1234mg
- Cholesterol: 28mg