Looking for a way to add more pizzazz to an ordinary dessert recipe? Try brightening basic cupcakes with jelly beans. Proven be a huge hit with the little ones in the house.
1. Using a flower-shaped cookie cutter or small scissors, cut 12 flowers from 2 sour belts. Cut as many 1" leaves as possible from the remaining sour belts with scissors. Pinch the end of each leaf to create a stem; set aside.
2. Blend frosting and lemon zest in a bowl; spoon 2 Tbsp. into a ziplock bag. Divide remaining frosting mixture among 2 bowls; tint 1 frosting pink with red food coloring. Spread a cupcake with pink frosting mixture. On top, form a ring of pink jelly beans, side by side, following outer edge of cupcake; add another ring just inside the first. Place a green flower in the center. Repeat with other cupcakes, alternating frosting and jelly bean colors.
3. Snip a small corner from ziplock bag filled with frosting mixture; pipe a dot in the center of green flowers and top with a candy-coated chocolate.
4. To make ladybug: Pipe a dot of frosting mixture on top of a cupcake and attach a heart-shaped candy. Squeeze chocolate frosting into a ziplock bag, snip off a tiny corner, then pipe on a head, a line and dots onto heart. Repeat with remaining heart candies.
5. Place each finished cupcake in a decorative paper liner and arrange on a serving platter. Use sour straws as flower stems and place reserved leaves along stems.