Prep time: 45 min.
Baking time: 32 min.
Decoration time: 60 min.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour the cake pans, then line them with wax paper.
2. Prepare the cake mix according to the package directions. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans.
3. Bake approximately 32-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven, transfer to a wire rack, and let cool completely.
4. Meanwhile, line the cookie sheet with parchment Paper or foil. Knead the flour into the cookie dough, and roll it out to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut out 3 sizes of cookies, using either the printable template or cookie cutters, and arrange them on the prepared cookie sheet. Press the lollipop sticks halfway into each cookie. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven, transfer to a wire rack, and let cool completely.
5. Blend 1 1/2 cans of vanilla frosting with the chocolate frosting. Fit the pastry bag with the basket weave tip, and fill the bag with half the frosting. Set aside.
6. Roughly chop 2 cups of SNICKERS® Brand Minis for Easter; mix with the remaining vanilla frosting.
7. Layer the cake rounds on a serving plate, with the SNICKERS® Brand Minis for Easter frosting mixture sandwiched in between layers. Spread a very thin layer of vanilla/chocolate frosting mixture around the outside of the cake. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Pipe a basket weave around the sides of the cake.
8. Tint the remaining frosting with the assorted food colors. Spoon the tinted frosting into the resealable plastic bags, each with a small corner snipped. Pipe frosting rosettes in the cookies and decorate with M&M'S® Brand Milk Chocolate Candies for Easter.
9. Scatter green M&M'S® Brand Milk Chocolate Candies for Easter around the top of the cake as grass. Press the "flower stems" into the top of the cake at various heights.
How to make the Basket Weave
This is not a complicated decoration to make. If you have never made a basket weave decoration before, follow the directions -- but try practicing with a pencil and paper first.
1. Fit a resealable plastic bag or pastry bag with a ribbon or serrated pastry tip. (The tips and disposal pastry bags are available in your local arts and crafts store or large party store.) Fill the bag with frosting.
2. Pipe the frosting in vertical lines, about 1 1/2 inches apart, around the outside of the cake.
3. Starting at the top of one vertical line, and working your way to the bottom, pipe 1 1/2-inch horizontal lines, spacing these lines 1 1/2 inches apart.
4. Move to the next vertical line, and start piping horizontal lines 1 1/2 inches from the top and staggering them in between the space of the two consecutive vertical lines. Continue the weaving pattern around the outside of the cake. Sounds like too much work? You still can make a great centerpiece! Simply spread the outside of the cake layers with the frosting. For a little variation, use a pastry comb or the tines of the fork through the frosting for a ribbed look.