Photo: Jennifer Causey; Styling: Claire Spollen
The quinoa mixture is very moist but will firm up beautifully in the oven. Press firmly when shaping the cakes, and be careful when transferring to the hot baking sheet. Place directly on pan for crispier cakes, or use parchment paper for quicker cleanup.
Serves 4 (serving size: 1 quinoa patty and 1/4 cup relish)
1. Preheat broiler to high.
2. To prepare relish, arrange bell peppers, skin side up, on a foil-lined baking sheet. Broil 10 minutes or until charred. Remove pan from oven; wrap peppers in foil. Let stand 10 minutes. Peel and finely chop. Combine peppers, parsley, vinegar, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and ground red pepper.
3. To prepare cakes, heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion; cook 4 minutes or just until tender, stirring frequently. Add quinoa; cook 4 minutes or until toasted and lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds. Add broth; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 17 minutes or until liquid is fully absorbed. Stir in chopped spinach. Spread hot quinoa mixture in a single layer on a baking sheet; cool 10 minutes.
4. Place a baking sheet in the oven. Reduce oven temperature to 375°.
5. Combine quinoa mixture, cheese, panko, 3/8 teaspoon salt, black pepper, and eggs in a bowl, and toss well to combine. Let mixture stand 5 minutes. Shape into 4 (4-inch) patties.
6. Remove preheated baking sheet from oven; coat pan with cooking spray. Place patties on pan, and return to oven. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes on each side or until lightly browned and thoroughly heated. Top with bell pepper relish.