- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 applewood-smoked bacon slices
- 3 tablespoons old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 7.9 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup Guinness Stout or other stout beer
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
Total: 50 Minutes
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with foil; place a wire rack on the baking sheet.
- 2. To prepare streusel, combine 3 tablespoons sugar, 2 teaspoons water, and pepper in a small bowl. Spread mixture evenly over both sides of bacon. Place coated bacon on rack; bake at 400° for 18 minutes or until done. Cool; finely chop.
- 3. Combine oats and 1 tablespoon flour in a small bowl. Stir in butter. Stir in 2 tablespoons chopped bacon; reserve remaining bacon. Set aside.
- 4. Reduce oven temperature to 350°. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- 5. To prepare muffins, weigh or lightly spoon 7.9 ounces (about 1 3/4 cups) flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 7.9 ounces flour, remaining bacon, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl; stir well. Combine beer, oil, vanilla, and egg in another bowl, gently stirring with a whisk. Add beer mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until combined. Evenly divide batter among muffin cups. Sprinkle streusel evenly over batter.
- 6. Bake at 350° for 18 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of muffins comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Remove muffins from pan; serve warm, or cool completely on a wire rack.
- Calories: 176
- Fat: 5.9g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 3g
- Carbohydrate: 27g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 200mg
- Calcium: 52mg