Notes: Juice-orange slices hold together better than those from navel oranges. If you are using a hot onion, put slices in a bowl and mix with 4 cups cold water, 2 tablespoons sugar, 2 tablespoons vinegar, and 1 tablespoon salt; gently squeeze the slices, separating the rings. Let stand 10 minutes, then drain, rinse, and drain again.
- 6 oranges (about 2 1/2 in. wide, 2 1/2 lb. total; see notes)
- 4 to 6 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Spice blend (recipe follows)
- 1 mild red onion (6 oz.), peeled and sliced (see notes)
- 1/2 cup finely slivered fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- About 1/2 cup black olives such as Niçoise or kalamata
- Fresh mint leaves and fresh cilantro leaves, rinsed
- 1. With a small, sharp knife, cut peel and white membrane from oranges. Slice the oranges crosswise 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick and discard seeds.
- 2. In a small bowl, mix 4 tablespoons vinegar with olive oil and sugar. Stir in the spice blend.
- 3. In a wide, shallow bowl, gently mix orange slices, onions, slivered mint, and chopped cilantro. Pour in dressing and mix gently. Taste and add salt and more vinegar if desired.
- 4. Scatter olives, mint leaves, and cilantro leaves over the top. Spoon salad and dressing onto plates.
- Spice blend: Combine 3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds or ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon paprika or mild ground dried chili, 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns or 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves, 1/4 teaspoon curry powder, and 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon; if using whole spices, whirl mixture in a grinder or small food processor to a powder.
- Calories: 138
- Calories from fat: 37%
- Protein: 1.7g
- Fat: 5.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Carbohydrate: 22g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Sodium: 370mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg