Photo: Ditte Isager
- 1 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 11.9 ounces bread flour (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 6.47 ounces all-purpose flour, divided (about 1 1/4 cups plus 3 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash of ground cloves
- 1 cup mashed cooked delicata squash (about 1 [1-pound] squash)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons water
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup maple sugar or light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Total: 2 Hours, 25 Minutes
- 1. To prepare rolls, combine the first 3 ingredients in a small bowl, and let stand for 10 minutes.
- 2. Weigh or lightly spoon bread flour and 5.63 ounces (about 1 1/4 cups) all-purpose flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine bread flour, 5.63 ounces all-purpose flour, salt, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add yeast mixture, squash, and oil, and stir just until moist. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic (about 6 minutes), adding enough of the remaining all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel tacky).
- 3. Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, for 45 minutes or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If the indentation remains, dough has risen enough.) Punch dough down; cover and let rest for 5 minutes. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and roll dough into a 20 x 12-inch rectangle. Combine the remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon, brown sugar, 2 tablespoons melted butter, and 2 teaspoons water in a small bowl; spread mixture evenly over dough, leaving a 1/4-inch border. Sprinkle evenly with nuts. Roll the dough, jelly-roll fashion, starting with long side. Cut roll crosswise into 16 equal slices. Arrange rolls, cut sides up, in a 13 x 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- 4. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 33 minutes or until brown. Cool 5 minutes on a wire rack.
- 6. To prepare glaze, combine 1/3 cup water and maple sugar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in 1 tablespoon butter, half-and-half, and vanilla. Cool 5 minutes; drizzle over rolls.
- Calories: 205
- Fat: 4.5g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 4.2g
- Carbohydrate: 36.9g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 6mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 167mg
- Calcium: 22mg