These simply prepared chicken tacos are an example of healthful Mexican cooking and are a way to teach students about grilling techniques, Mexican spices, and basic salsas. Serve with Pico de Gallo or Tomatillo Salsa.
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- Cooking spray
- 12 (6-inch) white corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese (such as Tillamook)
- Low-fat sour cream (optional)
- Prepare grill.
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a small bowl; rub spice mixture over chicken.
- Place chicken on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 10 minutes on each side or until done. Let stand 5 minutes; chop.
- Heat tortillas according to package directions. Divide chicken evenly among tortillas; top each tortilla with 2 tablespoons cabbage and 1 teaspoon cheese. Serve with sour cream, if desired.
- Calories: 329
- Calories from fat: 34%
- Fat: 12.5g
- Saturated fat: 3.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.9g
- Protein: 27.4g
- Carbohydrate: 29.4g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Cholesterol: 86mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 466mg
- Calcium: 109mg