Photo: Jennifer Causey; Styling: Lindsey Lower
A wee bit of canned chipotle chiles goes a long way in infusing this hearty chili with rich, smoky flavor and a hint of heat. (Cost for 4: $4.69)
Serves 4 (serving size: about 1 1/2 cups)
1. Heat a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat.
2. Add garlic, onion, and bell pepper; sauté 4 minutes.
3. Add cumin; sauté 30 seconds.
4. Stir in 1 cup water and remaining ingredients.
5. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
6. Remove 1 cup bean mixture from pan with a slotted spoon; place in a bowl. Mash beans with a fork.
7. Stir mashed beans into chili. Simmer 5 minutes.
3 Ways to Riff: - Add ground turkey or ground beef for a meaty version; cook it with the veggies. - Use any other type of bean: kidney beans, chickpeas (garbanzo beans), or red beans. - Swap in 1 can of hominy or 1 cup frozen corn in place of 1 can of beans.