Photo: Jennifer Causey; Styling: Missie Neville Crawford
Step aside, boring crudités--enter deliciously crunchy, lightly charred fennel and broccoli paired with grilled bread and juicy tomatoes. The long, slow cook time on the grill coordinates with the cooking of the chicken; you can also take things inside and use the oven for step 3.
Serves 8 (serving size: about 2 tablespoons dip, 1 bread slice, and about 1/2 cup vegetables)
1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
2. Place 1 bread slice on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 1 minute on each side or until charred. Combine olive oil, almonds, anchovy paste, paprika, and garlic in a medium saucepan. Place saucepan on grill rack; cook 10 to 12 minutes or until garlic begins to brown.
3. Reduce grill heat to medium-low (about 300°). Add grilled bread slice, vinegar, bell pepper, and chile to pan. Cook on medium-low heat for 45 minutes or until vegetables are very soft, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove pan from grill. Let stand 15 minutes.
4. Place bell pepper mixture, 2 tablespoons water, and salt in a food processor; process until smooth.
5. Return grill to medium-high heat. Combine broccoli, fennel, and canola oil in a large bowl; toss to coat. Arrange fennel mixture on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 3 minutes or until charred, turning occasionally. Sprinkle with black pepper. Place remaining 8 bread slices on grill rack; grill 1 minute on each side or until lightly charred. Serve dip with broccoli, fennel, tomatoes, and bread.