Add extra flavor to baked Great Northern beans with dry-cured Spanish chorizo, a type of smoked sausage with a deep red color. Be sure to use firm, dry-cured Spanish chorizo and not soft, raw Mexican chorizo for this recipe.
- 1 pound dried Great Northern beans (2 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup diced dry-cured Spanish chorizo
- 4 cups chopped onion
- 8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons no-salt-added tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Total: 10 Hours, 30 Minutes
- 1. Sort and wash beans; place in a Dutch oven. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans. Cover; let stand 8 hours. Drain.
- 2. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chorizo; cook 4 minutes or until fat begins to render. Add onion and garlic; sauté 10 minutes or until tender. Add beans, water, and next 7 ingredients (through bay leaves); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes or until beans are just tender.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 4. Stir brown sugar and the next 3 ingredients (through crushed red pepper) into bean mixture; bring to a simmer. Cover; bake at 350° for 1 1/2 hours or until beans are very tender and sauce is thick. Remove from oven; stir in vinegar, black pepper, and ground red pepper. Discard bay leaves; sprinkle with green onions and parsley.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.Ivy Manning, Cooking Light
- Calories: 184
- Fat: 2.9g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 10.6g
- Carbohydrate: 30.3g
- Fiber: 7.5g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 2.8mg
- Sodium: 306mg
- Calcium: 98mg