This is one of the most classic and rewarding uses of stock. Beef takes on a new dimension of taste and lusciousness when braised in a beef stock. The braising liquid is then made into a sauce, further enhancing the rich beef flavor.
- 6 cups Beef Stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 pound boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut against the grain into 4 slices
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- To prepare beef, combine Beef Stock and water in a saucepan; bring to a simmer. Place beef in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish; pour stock mixture over beef. Bake at 400° for 2 hours or until beef is tender.
- Remove beef from the cooking liquid; cover and keep warm. Strain cooking liquid through a sieve over a bowl. Place a zip-top bag inside a 2-cup glass measure. Pour liquid into bag; let stand 10 minutes (fat will rise to the top). Seal bag; carefully snip off 1 corner of bag. Drain liquid into a saucepan, stopping before the fat layer reaches the opening; discard fat. Bring liquid to a boil; reduce to simmer. Cook 20 minutes or until reduced to 1 cup. Remove from heat; stir in 1 teaspoon thyme, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- To prepare potatoes, place potatoes in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and cook 12 minutes or until very tender. Drain. Return potatoes to pan. Add milk, butter, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; mash with a potato masher to desired consistency. Cook for 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve with beef. Serve sauce over beef; garnish with remaining 1 teaspoon thyme.
- Calories: 341
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 8.9g
- Saturated fat: 3.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 25.2g
- Carbohydrate: 39.6g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Cholesterol: 73mg
- Iron: 3.1mg
- Sodium: 538mg
- Calcium: 69mg