- 1 cup self-rising yellow cornmeal mix
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup medium-size raw shrimp, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1/2 cup frozen diced onion, red and green bell pepper, and celery, thawed*
- 1/2 cup frozen cut okra, thawed and chopped
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup beer
- Canola oil
Total: 30 Minutes
- 1. Stir together cornmeal mix and flour in large bowl until combined.
- 2. Sprinkle shrimp with Creole seasoning. Add shrimp, onion mixture, and okra to cornmeal mixture. Stir in egg and beer just until moistened. Let stand 5 to 7 minutes.
- 3. Pour oil to depth of 4 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 350°. Drop batter by level tablespoonfuls into hot oil, and fry, in batches, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels; serve immediately.
- Note: Keep fried hush puppies warm in a 225° oven for up to 15 minutes. For testing purposes only, we used McKenzie's Seasoning Blend for diced onion, red and green bell pepper, and celery.