Photo: William Dickey; Styling: Lisa Powell Bailey
- 1 1/2 pounds ground round
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 (8-oz.) package fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 (14 1/2-oz.) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Cheese-and-Carrot Mashed Potatoes
Stand: 5 Minutes
- 1. Brown beef in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, 10 minutes or until meat crumbles and is no longer pink. Remove ground beef from skillet using a slotted spoon; reserve 2 Tbsp. drippings in skillet. Reduce heat to medium.
- 2. Sauté onion, mushrooms, and garlic in hot drippings over medium heat 10 to 11 minutes or until tender. Stir in ground beef, peas, and next 4 ingredients. Sprinkle flour over meat mixture. Increase heat to medium-high, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, bay leaf, and vinegar, breaking up large tomato pieces with a spoon. Reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring often, 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove bay leaf. Transfer mixture to a lightly greased 3-qt. baking dish or pan. Spoon Cheese-and-Carrot Mashed Potatoes evenly over meat mixture, smoothing with back of spoon.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Note: To make ahead, prepare recipe as directed through Step 2. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Freeze up to 1 month. Thaw in refrigerator 24 hours. Bake at 400° for 40 minutes or until thoroughly heated, shielding with aluminum foil after 25 minutes to prevent excessive browning.