1. Wash Scuppernongs; place in a 6-qt. stainless-steel or enameled Dutch oven, or other large, heavy, nonreactive saucepan. Add 1 cup water, and bring to a boil. Boil, stirring frequently, 20 minutes or until most of seeds have been released from pulp, crushing Scuppernongs with a potato masher to slip skins from pulp.
2. Rinse cheesecloth, and wring out excess water. Line a large colander with cheesecloth. Set colander over a large bowl or pot. Pour Scuppernong mixture into cheesecloth, and let stand at least 1 hour. Measure liquid (you should have about 41⁄2 cups), and return to Dutch oven, discarding solids.
3. Sterilize jars, and prepare lids as described on page 73.
4. While jars are boiling, add 3⁄4 cup sugar for each 1 cup juice to Scuppernong juice in Dutch oven. Add lemon juice. Bring to a rolling boil. Boil 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Sprinkle in pectin, stir well, and return to a rolling boil. Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat, and let stand until boiling subsides. Skim foam from surface with a metal spoon, and discard.
6. Fill and process jars as described on page 73. Store properly sealed jars in a cool, dark place. Let stand at least 1 week before serving to allow jelly to fully set. Serve on biscuits or with Brie and crackers, if desired.