Black beans are a staple side to any Mexican dish. Serve these beans warm and tender after 10 hours in the slow cooker.
- 1 (1-pound) package dried black beans
- 3 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups finely chopped onion (about 1 large)
- 1 tablespoon chopped chipotle chile, canned in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 4 ounces crumbled queso fresco (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup unsalted pumpkinseed kernels
- 1. Sort and wash beans; place in a large Dutch oven. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; bring to a boil. Cook 2 minutes; remove from heat. Cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain beans.
- 2. Place beans in a 3-quart electric slow cooker. Stir in chicken broth and next 4 ingredients (through garlic). Cover and cook on LOW for 10 hours or until beans are tender.
- 3. Stir in lime juice. Mash bean mixture with a potato masher until slightly thick. Sprinkle with queso fresco, cilantro, and pumpkinseed kernels.
- Calories: 165
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 4.4g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 9.8g
- Carbohydrate: 23.1g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Cholesterol: 6mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 347mg
- Calcium: 9mg