Be the first to rate it
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Lydia Degaris Pursell
- 4 bacon slices
- 8 ounces button mushrooms or crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 leeks, halved and sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound red potatoes, cubed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (1- to 1 1/4-pound) skinless salmon fillet, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons sliced chives
- 6 frozen phyllo sheets, thawed
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Cook bacon in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove from pan; crumble and set aside.
- 2. Add mushrooms and next 4 ingredients to skillet; cook, stirring often, 8 minutes or until mushrooms are lightly browned and all liquid has evaporated. Stir in broth and next 4 ingredients, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 6 to 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 3. Whisk together half-and-half and flour in a small bowl; add to skillet and cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil and thickens slightly. Add salmon, and cook 1 to 2 minutes or until opaque. Remove from heat, and stir in chives and reserved bacon. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 2 1/2-quart baking dish.
- 4. Place 1 phyllo sheet on a work surface. (Cover remaining phyllo with a damp kitchen towel to prevent drying.) Brush lightly with melted butter, and sprinkle evenly with about 1 tablespoon cheese. Top with another phyllo sheet. Repeat with remaining phyllo, butter, and cheese.
- 5. Place stacked phyllo on top of salmon mixture, and tuck in corners. Place baking dish on a baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.