Photo/Styling: Aran Goyoaga
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh fennel fronds or 3 teaspoons chopped dill
- 6 cups chicken stock or broth
- 2 cups diced yellow potatoes
- 1 to 3 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 pound skinless sockeye salmon, cut into pieces
- 1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, and garlic; cook 5 minutes or until translucent.
- 2. Add flour, and cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in garlic powder and next 5 ingredients; cook 1 minute.
- 3. Stir in chicken stock and next 3 ingredients. Bring to a simmer; cook 20 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through. Add salmon; cook 1 minute or just until done.