Look for pliable sun-dried tomatoes on the salad bar or in the produce section of your supermarket, rather than the bottled ones packed in oil. If your market’s salad bar doesn’t have artichoke hearts, buy a can of artichokes packed in water. If you want to cut down on the heat of this pie, use only 1 or 2 pepperoncini.
- 1 (12-inch) ready-to-bake whole-wheat pizza crust
- 1/4 cup commercial pesto
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded provolone cheese
- 16 sun-dried tomatoes packed without oil, chopped
- 1 cup chopped drained quartered artichoke hearts
- 4 pickled pepperoncini peppers, drained, stemmed, and chopped
- 2 tablespoons tablespoons sliced pitted ripe olives
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°.
- 2. Place crust on a large baking sheet. Spread pesto over crust to within 1/2 inch of edge. Sprinkle provolone cheese and remaining ingredients over pesto in the order given.
- 3. Bake at 450° for 12 minutes or until crust is crisp. Cool 5 minutes; cut into 6 wedges.
ON THE SIDE: Bring home sliced cucumbers from the salad bar at your supermarket, and dress them with rice vinegar and a little salt. Some sesame seeds sprinkled on top are a nice garnish.Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough, Cooking Light The Complete Quick Cook, Oxmoor House
- Calories: 289
- Fat: 13.6g
- Saturated fat: 6.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 12.1g
- Carbohydrate: 32g
- Fiber: 6g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 813mg
- Calcium: 155mg