Grilling caramelizes the sugars in the pineapple for a light dessert that is delicious on its own or served with low-fat vanilla ice cream. Any firm fruit, such as peaches and apricots, lends itself to grilling. Don't forget to sprinkle with toasted coconut for a rum-spiked treat!
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark spiced rum (such as Captain Morgan's)
- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored, halved lengthwise, and sliced lengthwise into 12 wedges (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons sweetened coconut, toasted
- Low-fat vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Combine the sugar and rum in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at high 1 1/2 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Brush rum mixture evenly over pineapple wedges.
- Heat butter in a grill pan over medium-high heat. Add pineapple; grill 3 minutes on each side or until grill marks form and pineapple is thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with coconut. Garnish with ice cream, if desired.
- Calories: 136
- Calories from fat: 17%
- Fat: 2.5g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 0.7g
- Carbohydrate: 24g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Iron: 0.5mg
- Sodium: 22mg
- Calcium: 23mg