1. In an 11- by 17-inch pan, mix oil with bell pepper, onion, and fresh tomatoes.
2. Bake in a 425° regular or convection oven for 15 minutes. Add beans and garlic, mix, and bake until tomatoes are soft and well browned around edges, 25 to 30 minutes longer.
3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, pour 1/2 cup boiling water over dried tomatoes. Let stand, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes are soft, about 20 minutes.
4. Also, in an 8- to 10-inch frying pan over medium heat, shake pine nuts frequently until pale gold, 1 to 2 minutes; pour from pan.
5. When vegetables are almost done, bring about 3 quarts water to a boil in a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat.
6. When vegetables are done, add dried tomatoes and their soaking liquid to the pan. Stir to release browned bits in pan and keep mixture warm. At the same time, add the linguine to the boiling water and cook until pasta is barely tender to bite, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain pasta and pour into roasting pan; mix well, lifting with 2 forks. Add pine nuts and 1/2 cup cheese, mix, and spoon pasta into wide bowls. Add more cheese and salt to taste.