Photo: Jennifer Causey; Styling: Lindsey Lower
Make this dish gluten-free by using the brown rice elbow pasta and brown rice flour options listed in the ingredients.
Serves 12 (serving size: 1 cup)
1. Remove top oven rack, and cover with foil; lightly coat with cooking spray. Preheat broiler to high.
2. Arrange tomato slices on prepared rack; lightly coat with cooking spray. Broil 8 to 10 minutes or until tomatoes are lightly browned. Transfer tomatoes to a plate; set aside.
3. Combine flour and butter in a bowl until a paste forms.
4. Place a large high-sided sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add stock, 2 cups milk, salt, and mustard, stirring with a whisk. Add pasta to pan; bring to a boil. Cook 12 minutes or until pasta is done, stirring frequently. Stir in remaining 1 cup milk and artichokes; cook 2 minutes. Add butter-flour paste, in pieces, stirring constantly to blend and thicken. Remove from heat; stir in cheddar, fontina, 6 tablespoons Parmesan, and pepper.
5. Arrange broiled tomato slices on top of pasta. Sprinkle with remaining 4 tablespoons Parmesan. Broil 2 minutes or until cheese begins to brown.