Make the lemon cheese and olive-oil toast while the tomatoes roast. Or roast the tomatoes (through step 3) and make the lemon cheese up to 2 days ahead; cover separately and chill. Bring to room temperature to serve.
- 8 Roma tomatoes (equal size, 1 1/2 lb. total), rinsed and cored
- 1 onion (about 8 oz.), peeled and finely chopped
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- Lemon cheese (recipe follows)
- Olive-oil toast (recipe follows)
- About 2 cups arugula leaves, stemmed, rinsed, and drained
- 1. Cut tomatoes in half lengthwise. Lay halves cut side up in a single layer in an 8- by 12-inch oval or rectangular casserole (rim should be at least 1/2 in. higher than tomatoes).
- 2. In a 1 1/2- to 2-quart pan, combine onion, vinegar, sugar, olive oil, and ginger. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring often. Pour over tomatoes.
- 3. Roast in a 400° oven (convection not recommended) until tomatoes are dark brown and sauce is browned and thickened (bubbles will be large and shiny), about 1 1/4 hours; baste tomatoes with sauce and onions about every 15 minutes at first, then more frequently as mixture begins to thicken, to avoid scorching. Use hot, warm, or at room temperature.
- 4. Spread lemon cheese equally on oiled sides of the olive-oil toast slices. Set on plates and cover equally with arugula leaves. Spoon tomatoes and juices equally onto toast slices. Add salt to taste.
- Lemon Cheese: In a food processor or bowl, combine 1/3 cup cream cheese (at room temperature), 1/3 cup packed fresh chèvre (goat cheese), 2 tablespoons milk, and 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel. Whirl or beat with a mixer on medium-high speed until blended.
- Olive-oil toast. Lay 8 slices of rustic white bread such as sourdough or ciabatta (about 3 by 4 in., cut about 1/2 in. thick) in a single layer in a shallow 10- by 15-inch pan. Bake in a 375° oven until lightly browned on the bottom, 5 to 6 minutes. Turn slices over and brush equally with about 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil. Continue baking until golden brown and crisp, 6 to 8 minutes longer. Use warm, or let cool on a rack.
- Nutritional analysis per piece.
- Calories: 285
- Calories from fat: 44%
- Protein: 6.2g
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 5.1g
- Carbohydrate: 36g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Sodium: 261mg
- Cholesterol: 17mg