This seasonal fall rice dish featuring roasted butternut squash makes a satisfying side dish for roasted turkey, roast beef or ham, but it’s hearty enough to be a main dish, too. You can make it a meatless dish by leaving out the pancetta and using vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth.
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 4 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 ounce pancetta, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup chardonnay
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh lemon thyme or 1 1/2 tablespoons thyme plus 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Arrange nuts in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan. Bake at 400° for 5 minutes or until toasted, stirring twice. Place nuts in a bowl. Drizzle butter over warm nuts; sprinkle with sugar and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Toss well to coat.
- 3. Combine squash and 1 tablespoon oil, tossing to coat. Arrange squash in a single layer on jelly-roll pan. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until squash is just tender. Remove from pan; stir in garlic. Set aside.
- 4. Bring broth and 1/2 cup water to a simmer in a saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
- 5. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add pancetta to saucepan; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently. Add onion; cook 3 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add rice; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add wine; cook 1 minute or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 20 minutes total). Stir in squash, thyme, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Top with cheese and nuts.
- Calories: 259
- Fat: 10.7g
- Saturated fat: 2.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.8g
- Protein: 7.5g
- Carbohydrate: 35.5g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Cholesterol: 9mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 397mg
- Calcium: 95mg