You can prepare this refined risotto up to two days ahead. Cook it until it's almost done, through step two. Spread the hot mixture evenly in a jelly-roll pan to cool it quickly. Refrigerate until you're ready to reheat it. Add a little extra broth while it's warming, and pick up with step three of the recipe.
- 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 cups uncooked Arborio rice or other medium-grain rice
- 2 cups Champagne, divided
- 2 cups thinly sliced radicchio
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Bring broth and 1 cup water to a simmer in a medium saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion to pan, and cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add rice; cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in 1 1/2 cups Champagne; cook 2 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Stir in broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion is absorbed before adding the next (about 20 minutes total). Remove from heat.
- Stir in remaining 1/2 cup Champagne, radicchio, 1/2 cup cheese, butter, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Let stand 5 minutes. Serve with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Calories: 234
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 6.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 7.2g
- Carbohydrate: 33.1g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Iron: 0.4mg
- Sodium: 365mg
- Calcium: 97mg