Flavorful and generously marbled, rib-eye makes a restaurant-worthy splurge whether at home or out camping, particularly when topped with a distinctively flavored butter. The amount of pistachio butter is generous; if you like, turn the asparagus in some of it right after the spears come off the grill and top the steaks with the rest.
- 1/4 cup shelled, roasted unsalted pistachios*
- 1 cup arugula
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 boneless rib-eye steaks (each about 12 oz.)
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
In Camp: 30 Minutes
- 1. If you’re camping, do this before you leave home: Whirl pistachios and arugula in a food processor until minced. Add butter and whirl until smooth, scraping down inside of bowl as needed. Transfer to a small container and chill.
- 2. Heat a charcoal or wood-fired grill to high (450° to 550°; you can hold your hand 5 in. above cooking grate only 2 to 4 seconds). Coat steaks and asparagus with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill steaks, turning once, until done the way you like, 6 to 15 minutes for medium-rare. Grill asparagus in last few minutes, turning once, until tender-crisp.
- 3. Transfer everything to a cutting board, dollop steaks with butter, and tent with foil. Let rest 5 minutes. Slice steaks and serve with asparagus.
- *If you can’t find unsalted pistachios, use unsalted butter to balance the salty nuts.
- Make ahead: Pistachio butter, up to 1 week, chilled.
- Calories: 506
- Calories from fat: 66%
- Protein: 38g
- Fat: 37g
- Saturated fat: 16g
- Carbohydrate: 5.2g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Sodium: 727mg
- Cholesterol: 172mg