- 1 (14.5-oz.) package gingerbread mix
- 1 teaspoon meringue powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hot water
- 1 (12-oz.) container ready-to-spread fluffy white frosting
- Decorations: 32 miniature candy canes, 32 licorice candies, 16 sour cherry candies
- 1. Prepare gingerbread dough according to package instructions for gingersnap cookies.
- 2. Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface, and cut into 3 1/2-inch ovals, using an egg-shaped or oval cookie cutter. Place 2 inches apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks, and let cool 30 minutes.
- 4. Stir together meringue powder and 1/2 tsp. hot water until combined; stir in frosting. Spoon frosting mixture into a zip-top plastic freezer bag; snip 1 corner of bag to make a small hole. Pipe 1 dot of frosting mixture at top of 1 cookie; press straight ends of 2 candy canes into piped dot to form antlers. Pipe 2 dots in center of cookie; press 1 licorice candy in each dot to form eyes. Pipe 1 dot at bottom of cookie; press 1 cherry candy in dot to form a nose. Repeat procedure with remaining cookies, frosting mixture, and candies. Let stand 24 hours to dry, if desired.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Betty Crocker Gingerbread Cake & Cookie Mix and Betty Crocker Fluffy White Whipped Frosting.