Photo: Iain Bagwell; Prop Stylist: Heather Chadduck; Food Stylist: Ana Kelly
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons red liquid food coloring
- Sweet Cream-Cheese Butter
- Garnish: powdered sugar
Total: 50 Minutes
- Sift together first 6 ingredients into a large bowl. Whisk together buttermilk and next 3 ingredients in another bowl. Gradually stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture just until dry ingredients are moistened. Pour about 1/4 cup batter for each pancake onto a hot buttered griddle or large nonstick skillet. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look dry and cooked. Turn and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until done. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet, and keep warm in a 200° oven up to 30 minutes. Serve with Sweet Cream-Cheese Butter.
- Note: When using a griddle, heat it to 350°.
- Tip: For tender pancakes, don't overmix the batter; it should be lumpy.