Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Jan Gautro
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated almond paste
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg white
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (about 5 1/2 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons Raspberry Refrigerator Jam
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper; secure to baking sheet with masking tape.
- Place first 3 ingredients in a bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed for 4 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and egg white; beat well.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add flour and salt to almond paste mixture; beat at low speed until well blended. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and shape dough into 36 (1-inch) balls. Place balls 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets, and press thumb into center of each cookie, leaving an indentation. Bake at 325° for 10 minutes or until golden.
- Remove cookies from pans; cool on wire racks. Spoon about 1/2 teaspoon Raspberry Refrigerator Jam into center of each cookie.
- Notes: Almond paste makes the dough moist and pliable. Look for it in the supermarket baking aisle. The large holes of a box grater work well for grating the almond paste. Use a wine cork instead of your thumb to make a deeper indentation in the cookies. If you bake both pans of cookies at the same time, rotate the pans in the oven halfway through baking time for even browning.
- Calories: 61
- Calories from fat: 34%
- Fat: 2.3g
- Saturated fat: 1.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 0.8g
- Carbohydrate: 9.5g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Iron: 0.3mg
- Sodium: 29mg
- Calcium: 6mg