Serve alongside Deviled Ham Terrine, or add to your favorite martini or Bloody Mary. Make extra as a takeaway for your guests. Pickles may seem summery, but you can enjoy them using seasonal fall and winter produce.
This recipe goes with Deviled Ham Terrine
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 8 cups assorted cut vegetables
Total: 2 Hours, 5 Minutes
- 1. Bring first 8 ingredients and 2 1/2 cups water to a boil in a large nonaluminum saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved; boil 1 minute. Let stand 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook vegetables, in batches, in boiling water to cover 1 to 2 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Plunge into ice water to stop the cooking process; drain.
- 3. Transfer vegetables to a large bowl or 2 1/2-qt. container. Pour vinegar mixture over vegetables. Let stand 1 hour. Cover and chill 1 day before serving. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 1 week.
- Perfect for Pickling: cauliflower florets, Swiss chard stalks, carrot sticks, sliced parsnips, halved Brussels sprouts, radishes, sliced fennel, green beans, bell pepper rings.