- 6 ounces thin-sliced apple wood- smoked or regular bacon (about 6 slices), cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 onions (about 1 lb. total), peeled and chopped
- 3 cans (28 oz. each) Boston-style baked beans
- 1/2 cup catsup
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat, stir bacon often until browned and crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain. Discard all but 1 1/2 tablespoons fat in pan.
- 2. Add onions to pan and stir often until they begin to brown and stick to bottom of pan, 7 to 9 minutes. Add beans and their liquid, catsup, brown sugar, dry mustard, and cooked bacon; mix well. Pour into a shallow 3-quart casserole.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, in a 350° regular or convection oven until beans are bubbling in the center, 30 to 40 minutes. Serve hot.
If assembling through step 2 up to 1 day ahead, cover and chill; bake chilled beans about 50 minutes.Sunset
- Calories: 316
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Protein: 15g
- Fat: 6.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.3g
- Carbohydrate: 56g
- Fiber: 14g
- Sodium: 1278mg
- Cholesterol: 22mg