1. In a large sauce pan, bring 8 cups of water and 1 tablespoon salt to a boil. Cook the farfalle for 12-15 minutes or until al dente.
2. Drain pasta and toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Cover with plastic wrap and reserve.
3. In the same sauce pan, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the onion until tender, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the thinly sliced sage. Sauté for 3 minutes.
5. Add the pumpkin and heavy cream. Bring to a simmer. Add the cheese, stir until melted and the sauce thickens.
6. Stir in the brown sugar, salt and pepper. Add the farfalle to the sauce, toss until coated.
7. For garnish: Heat remaining oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Fry sage leaves until crisp. Transfer with a fork to paper towels to drain.