Be the first to rate it
This dish affords the chance to improvise with what you find at your local market. Try purple potatoes in place of fingerlings, Maui or Walla Walla onions instead of Vidalias, or sliced beefsteak heirloom tomatoes for the grape or cherry tomatoes.
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound fingerling potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 cups thinly vertically sliced Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 2 cups (1/4-inch-thick) slices zucchini
- 1 cup (1/4-inch-thick) slices yellow squash
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 tablespoons water
- Flat-leaf parsley (optional)
- Preheat broiler.
- Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise, and discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 8 minutes or until blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let peppers stand 5 minutes. Peel and cut into strips.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a deep 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes, tossing to coat. Spread potatoes in a single layer in pan. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon basil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, and 1/3 of garlic. Arrange onion, zucchini, and squash over seasonings. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon basil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, and 1/3 of garlic. Top with roasted bell peppers, remaining 2 tablespoons basil, remaining 1/3 of garlic, and tomatoes. Drizzle remaining 1 tablespoon oil and water over top; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Uncover; increase heat to high, and cook 3 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
- Calories: 225
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 7.6g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 6.4g
- Carbohydrate: 35.4g
- Fiber: 7.4g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 592mg
- Calcium: 62mg