Polenta is cornmeal boiled into a porridge and usually eaten baked, fried or grilled. It is the not-so-secret ingredient in this moist cake with amaretto soaked oranges.
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Place toasted almonds in a food processor, and process until ground; set aside.
3. Place 1 cup sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in lemon rind and juice.
4. Combine ground almonds, polenta, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl. Add egg mixture, and stir until well blended. Pour batter into an 8-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray.
5. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
6. While cake cools, cut peel and pith away from oranges using a sharp knife. Cut oranges crosswise into 1/4-inch slices; cut each slice into quarters. Combine oranges, amaretto, and 1 tablespoon sugar, stirring gently until sugar dissolves.
7. Cut cake into 8 wedges. Spoon oranges and syrup over cake.
Note: Substitute 1/4 cup orange juice, 1/4 teaspoon almond extract, and 1 tablespoon sugar for the amaretto, if desired.